Saturday, April 01, 2006

THE BRAZILIAN DIFFERENCE - RONALDINHO GAUCHO


At last week's Nike launch of their Joga Bonito campaign in Barcelona, Ronaldinho spoke on stage, in a question-and-answer session, about the Barcelona-Real Madrid showdown, Brazil, the World Cup, Joga Bonito, and even Arsenal's Thierry Henry.

We have seen lots of images of 'joga bonito' involving Brazil. What is it that makes Brazilian football so special?
Every country has its own way of playing and ours has always been like this. Our style is an attacking style, and our players are known for their dribbling skills. We have a level of technique that sets us apart from other countries.

With that style, everyone says Brazil are favourites for the World Cup. Do you agree?
I don't think you can talk about favourites. I think you have to go out for every game and play your best football, demonstrate with each match that you can win and play well. People can talk about favourites before a competition, but once it starts, you have to forget about all that and do your best to win.

Does talk of you being favourites mean extra pressure? Will the pressure force you to alter your style and be more conservative?
No. We have a certain style of play and I don't think that will change... ever. We like to have a lot of touches on the ball and that won't change. There is pressure, but we have a group of players with a lot of strength and a lot of experience.



Who are the strongest teams at the World Cup, apart from Brazil?
There are many strong teams. I think playing at home gives you that little extra motivation, so Germany will be strong. They have the fans on their side and that always means it's harder for the teams they play against.

You play for Barcelona in Spain. What do you make of Spain's World Cup chances?
I think they're a very good side. I know practically all the players in the Spanish national team and I think they have a lot of footballers with a lot of ability. And there are a lot of my club colleagues playing in the national team. Of course, I think they are great players too.

Is the prospect of playing against your club-mate Carles Puyol a frightening one? He's bound to give you a kick!
(Ronaldinho laughs) No, Carles is like a brother to me. Ever since I arrived at Barcelona, we have got on very well. We have a great friendship and I have a lot of respect for him because he's such a great player. Fear? No. But respect, yes.

(Brazil coach) Carlos Alberto Parreira said your national team-mates Roberto Carlos and Ronaldo (who play for struggling Real Madrid) are reserving themselves for the World Cup. Is he right?
For me, players never reserve themselves for a competition. Footballers live for the moment. I think they are giving everything they can to help their teams out.

Is the criticism that Ronaldo has had unfair? Is he going to be the star at the World Cup?
I have the greatest of confidence in him. I think people have to respect him for everything he has done for Real Madrid, Brazil and world football. As a team-mate, I will help him as much as I can so he can be the man of the World Cup once again, just as he was in 2002.

Increasingly, teams are being successful by playing defensively. Are Barcelona the biggest ambassadors for good and positive football?
Every team has a style of their own and ours really suits us right now. It's a 'joga bonito' style, very attacking, always trying to score goals. There are other types of play that can get you results, but ours is a style that people like to see. I really enjoy playing at Barcelona.

So, is playing for Barcelona doubly satisfying because you are proving that it is possible to win while playing nice football?
For me, it's perfect. But if we had to change our style a bit, I'd accept that too because at the club we're all competitors and we want to win. But the lovely thing is that we are competitive playing in a team that plays nice football and I don't see any reason why we would want to change.

Playing this way, how do you see your chances in the Champions League?
Good, very good. We're playing very well, with a lot of confidence and we hope we can go a long way in the competition. (Barcelona drew 0-0 with Benfica away in midweek, in the Champions League first-leg quarter-finals. They meet again in Barcelona for the deciding second leg next week.)

Which is the strongest team left in the Champions League?
All the teams that are left now are very strong. You get to this stage and there are lots of Europe's greatest teams in there so I wouldn't say there is one favourite.

You've won it all at individual level in the last two years. How do you keep motivated? Is there a risk of you taking it easy?
I never lose the motivation. I have been lucky enough to win lots of titles with my teams and at an individual level at quite a young age. Now that I know just how nice it is to win those things once, the motivation comes from wanting to win everything lots of times, to do it again and keep on winning.

You're playing so well that the rumours are inevitable. Chelsea's name keeps reappearing. What does your future hold?
My future is Barcelona. It's here. Today, I'm not thinking of anything that's not Barcelona. I don't lack anything here. I have all that I could wish for and the club have made a great effort to make sure I am happy. I am satisfied here.

In the Joga Bonito video, we see you playing futsal. Has futsal helped you?
Without doubt, playing futsal has helped me. My touch on the ball and my dribbling in particular have improved by playing futsal.

You are seen dancing the samba in the advertisement. Do you like dancing and does the samba help your balance for football?
It has become a kind of symbol for me. I love to dance though I am not thinking about dancing when I play. Maybe samba does come through the way I do things on the pitch.

Does playing football professionally still bring you joy?
Yes, it makes me very happy. Football is the greatest thing I have, one of the things that makes me most happy. I have the great happiness of playing at a great club and with my national team.

You are known as someone who always plays with a smile. What can footballers learn from your philosophy of the game?
It is hard to say what other players can take from it. That's the way I am, I always try to look on the bright side of things and enjoy myself.

The Barca-Madrid showdown is coming up. Will that result decide the destiny of the Spanish Primera Liga title?
It is going to play a big part because Real Madrid are one of our most direct rivals for the League (Barcelona lead Real by 11 points, with eight games left). Our 3-0 win at their stadium (last November) changed things for us and if we win again this time, it would put us closer to the title. We know that at the end of the game, we are not going to be champions but we know it could help us a lot.

How would you feel if you won the Primera Liga and the Champions League with Barcelona, then the World Cup with Brazil?
I'd feel like the happiest person in the world if I could win all three of the major competitions. I have won the League and the World Cup before. I am only missing the Champions League title and if I could win the three, this would be the most special year of my life.

Tell me three things that constitute 'joga bonito' for you.
Respect your rivals, try to be as honest as possible and enjoy as much as you can.

What's the most important individual quality for a person to 'joga bonito'?
Well, every player has their own qualities but my game is based on touch and dribbling skills.



What's the best way of celebrating a goal?
There are lots of ways. Every goal brings a different emotion, but I love dancing and if there is something that really makes me happy, it's the samba. That's what I most enjoy dancing to every day.

Is 'joga bonito' a very Brazilian thing?
Not just Brazil. There are many countries with players who like to play beautifully, but when I see Brazil I see a happy country, one that lives for joy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home